Friday, April 5, 2013

Happy birthday Chi Omega!

Get ready for a long post...

This is my all time favorite shirt from my college days and unfortunately its time has passed.  So I wanted to take one last picture of it with my badge. 
 

I read an interesting article today about how watching the "perfect" moments of our friends on facebook is affecting society in an interesting day.  How this can push our envy buttons because we only are watching facebook when we are alone or bored.  The article ended talking about how life's happiest moments can't be photographed or captured in 140 characters.  Life's happiest moments require us to be fully present. 

This article got me thinking about my blog and how I am trying to find happy, beautiful moments everyday, which is awesome but it is not the whole picture of my life.  This week has been amazing and difficult all at the same time.  I didn't include pictures of my back locking up, I didn't include the picture of me working up the courage to hand in my resignation and I didn't include the picture of me walking out of yoga class yesterday upset and frustrated.  But all of that and more happened this week.  

I am going to discuss my yoga class because I find the experience very interesting.  Monday I had the most amazing class, I walked out of the studio feeling alive and present and wonderful.  I realize now that the class was so amazing because I was fully present I was able to come back to my breath and my body even when the poses were difficult, plus my teacher has amazing magic!   On Thursday my regular teacher wasn't there, and a different instructor was teaching the class and a different style of yoga.  I was really excited because I was curious about this style of yoga.  I left the class sore and frustrated and angry with myself.  Last night while I was describing the different style of yoga to Adam, I figured the style was not for me.  But today I realized the problem, my body was there but my mind was not present.  I had no focus and no intention.  I learned something very important, the mental and spiritual practice is important to me. I am writing this down so that I can refer back to it, the next time I think I am too busy to take five minutes for meditation.  

While I consider my intentions for this blog and the focus for the next year; I know I want yoga to be an integral part of the blog, because it is an integral part of my life now. 

 

The Chi Omega Symphony

To liveconstantly above snobbery of word or deed; to place scholarship before socialobligations and character before appearances; to be in the best sense, democraticrather than "exclusive",and lovable rather than "popular"; to work earnestly, to speak kindly, to actsincerely, to choose thoughtfully that course which occasion and consciencedemand; to be womanly always; to be discouraged never; in a word, to be loyalunder any and all circumstances to my Fraternityand her highest teachings and to have her welfare ever at heart that she may bea symphony of high purpose and helpfulness in which there is no discordantnote.
 
Written by Ethel Switzer Howard, Xi Chapter, 1904

No comments:

Post a Comment