Monday, May 27, 2013

How to tell your yoga practice is working

It is my 400th post!  When I began this journey, I had a lot of doubts about following through with my commitment to post almost everyday (I purposely take Saturdays off now).  But here I am, still taking photos and writing!

I have been devoting a lot of my time to yoga for the last six months or so; and there are days when I feel like I have made no progress or that I am going backwards.  But today something happened that really showed me that my practice is working.  

Yoga is not about getting into difficult poses, it is about maintaining composure in poses.  For example, relaxing your face while doing a pose that is uncomfortable.  Yoga for me is teaching me to take a deep breath and then decide what to do next.  It is helping me react to any situation calmly with grace.

Today when I was cooking and cutting up vegetables, I sliced my finger open.  I had food cooking on the stove that was about to start burning and a finger that was dripping blood.  I took a deep breath and tried to figure out how to handle the situation.  I considered my options and very calmly asked Adam for help (interrupting his phone call).  In the past, I would probably have just started yelling for help and would not have had a plan of action.  Adam needed to take care of the food and I would be able to take care of my finger.  

Yoga is so much fun, and I get so excited when I get into a new pose, but that doesn't compare to how I felt today when I realized that I reacted to a difficult situation calmly with grace. 

1 comment:

  1. That is so exciting Lenore! I've felt the same way in the last few months - able to handle stresses differently than I did before. I also love yoga. We should do a yoga retreat together sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete