Thursday, August 8, 2013

No TV?

Now that I have started to watch TV again, I have noticed a few things that I would like to share.  First I would like to explain where I was about a month ago: I used to watch television ALL the time.  Any time I was home alone there would a show on in the background, Adam and I used to eat and watch shows at the same time.  Honestly I would turn on the television as soon as I walked in the door, it was a habit.  I wasn't always on the couch watching TV but it was always on, it was always on the background.  

Now that I am allowing myself to watch TV, I find I don't enjoy it as much.  It takes me multiple sittings to get through a show.  For example, this weekend I kept having Adam pause Dexter, because I needed a break.  (It has some pretty intense moments, and I just didn't want to raise my anxiety. I did have some difficulty sleeping this weekend too. )  Even my guilty little pleasures (Pretty Little Liars, Revenge) don't have as much appeal for me anymore.  I find it difficult to sit through an entire show, mostly because I want to do so many other things. 

Tonight, I after a wonderful phone call; I went to turn on Netflix.  Since Adam is at yoga training, I figured I could take some time to watch a guilty little pleasure.  But as I was preparing my food, I decided I didn't even want to watch TV and would rather eat my meal and then settle down and read some comics.   It is really amazing to me, what a difference a month has made.  

I am curious to see what happens in the fall, when all the shows I follow start back up. I don't think watching television is necessarily a bad habit, I am really just interested in how TV affects me and my life.  I originally took this challenge to help get a better night's sleep, so I am documenting my other observations. 

Question to consider:  Have you ever taken a break from a habit, and what was the result in the long term?  I am thinking of giving up Facebook for a month, next.   But I am curious if I really broke my habit of TV or this is just the honeymoon period.

2 comments:

  1. How are those Avatar comics? We love Avatar (all 3 of us!).

    I don't watch as much TV as I used to either. I like the option of watching a 45 minute show in 2 or 3 sittings and I often do that. One thing I've found lately with TV is that I have no patience for bad TV. I'm WAY more critical than I used to be. So this means I only like 2 or 3 current shows, really. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,

      I really enjoyed the first comic, the second one I am unsure about. I am hoping the third one really wraps up the story. I can always send them to you when we are finished with them. The third one hasn't come out yet. But we loved Avatar.

      Did you watch the first series of Legend of Korra?

      Delete