Thursday, September 5, 2013

Vulnerability

So I woke up really early this morning (4:00 ish) and was not able to get get back to sleep.  My mind was racing a thousand miles an hour thinking about a conversation I had yesterday with my teacher about boundaries and walls.  So I picked up my cell phone and started looking for information to help me resolve some of the questions I was working through.  This morning Google was absolutely amazing and my search led me to this TED talk. 

I have spent the morning learning more about this speaker and looking up some more YouTube clips.  A lot of what she is talking about is resonating with me.   However I still find myself asking the question "How?"  

How does one take down the walls?  How does one practice vulnerability and compassion?   What does that look like, and feel like?  

Quote to consider:  To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable. – C.S Lewis

1 comment: