Thursday, October 24, 2013

Finding

This post has been a work in progress and to be honest I didn't know if I wanted to share the story.  However I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and he told me, that it is a story that people need to hear. 

Last week my lovely grandmother passed away.  She gave me one last bit of inspiration before I said good bye to her.  She faced her death the same way that I saw her face her life, with a smile and an open heart.  I took a last minute plane ticket and visited my previously active grandmother in a hospital bed paralyzed and unable to swallow properly.   My grandmother continued to find miracles and reasons to smile.   She told us "even on your bad days, FIND a reason to smile."  She cracked jokes with us and cried with us.  She was so grateful for life.  I now have a solid example of what it looks like to see change as an opportunity and not pain. 

I have spent the last little bit of time trying to decide how to describe my grandmother, how to describe my relationship with her.  Today when I was walking Sterling, it hit me.  If you want to know my grandmother and understand how much she meant to me, spend time with me.  The lessons she taught me I will carry with me, I will always be her granddaughter and she will always be my grandmother.

Rest in Peace; I love you!

This is a stack of letters that I sent my grandmother when I was living in California.  She kept every one of my letters and postcards. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. My aunt just passed away on Sunday evening. So THANK YOU for sharing.

    Love always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lenore, we are so very sorry that your grandmother passed away. But I loved to read your blog about how you are able to face it and send the good message in sad news to all of us.
    Mirka

    ReplyDelete