Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Superpowers

I was listening to an old podcast from "This American Life," about superpowers and superheroes.  The first segment posed the question "would you rather be invisible or be able to fly?"  I don't know if this has to do with being a science nerd but I have found myself answering the question about which superpower do you want for a while now.  Since I can remember I have wanted to be invisible. I have always liked the idea of being able to hide.  

The segment provided an interesting theory about the different personality types of who wants to be able to fly and who wants to be invisible.  The individuals who wanted to be invisible were secretive people who had something to hide, and the individuals who wanted to be able to fly are willing to let it all hang out.    I found myself thinking about that theory a lot during my walk with Sterling.  I don't know if I would describe myself as secretive, just private. 

Would you rather fly or be able to be invisible?  Do you believe that answer provides someone with enough information to understand your personality?  In this day and age of  prospective employers giving personality tests; would you answer the question honestly?

The podcast inspired me to think about this question a little bit differently, but more importantly to consider embracing flying a little bit more in my daily life.  Everyday we have moments, events that give us the option to chose being invisible or being able to fly.  To I will challenge myself today to fly, and not hide.  So I will wear some high heals, get out and try something new.  

 Question to consider:  Do you want to fly or be invisible?  Is your choice based on your default setting?

No comments:

Post a Comment