Wednesday, December 4, 2013

"The Body"

I am a huge fan of Joss Whedon's work and it all started with me watching an episode of Buffy, back in college.  I eventually shared this series with Adam (forced him to watch it).  Although there are horrible episodes there is one episode in Season 5 that is one of the best episodes of TV I have ever seen.  

SPOILER ALERT for Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I have been listening to an introcast about Buffy the Vampire Slayer for years.  It is called Potential Cast and most of the hosts have not watched Buffy before, so they try to remain spoiler free.  I usually listen to this podcast as soon as a new episode hits, but back in October I lost my momentum.  They had gotten to the episode titled "The Body."  This is an episode that deals with a character's very real, very sudden death.  There is nothing supernatural involved in this death, there is no monster for Buffy to kill and there is no happy ending in this episode.  

Today I finally decided it was time to listen to the episode.  Wow!  These podcasters did not hold back on their emotion and even told their own personal stories.   Listening to the podcast this morning really reminded me that even when you are grieving, even when your heart is broken life continues on.  It doesn't always wait for you to catch your breath, sometimes you feel like you just keep getting kicked.  

However that is life.  It is all beautiful!  I needed that reminder today after my little meltdown after work yesterday.  Life is beautiful, there is no duality, no fight between life and death;  there is just life.   Death is a part of life it is not the opposite.  

I really urge people to watch this episode (Season 5 episode 6) of Buffy at some point.  It is available on netflix and amazon prime.  Here is the link for the podcast if anyone is interested.  

http://potentialcast.blogspot.com/2013/10/episode-516-body.html

No comments:

Post a Comment