Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Acceptance

A while ago Adam and I were at an adoption conference, this woman had talked and really opened her heart up in one of the sessions we were at.   When I saw her later I stopped her, and I tried to thank her for her story, the words simply got caught in my throat.   She gave me a hug and looked me in the eyes and said "I understand."   At the time it was the most beautiful phrase I had heard.  I remember even posting something about it on Facebook and I still think about that moment.   The gift that woman gave to me, she allowed me to just be me.

The past couple of weeks I have been driving myself crazy and have gotten caught up in a story, hence all the crazy cleaning and lots of running.  After realizing that I was getting caught in a vicious cycle I went to my teacher today to seek some guidance.  After some tears and a long conversation he told me "I love and accept you." 

On the drive home I did a lot of thinking about acceptance and how important it is to our mental health and well being.  Acceptance is about unconditional love, it is about saying "okay," to anything life throws at you.  Acceptance is not about condoning something, it is about understanding that a starving person will steal bread.   It is about understanding that every human being is divinity and meeting them where they are. 

I love this meaning in particular (yes I got it from wikipedia)  Acceptance is closely related to acquiescence derived from the Latin 'acquiÄ“scere'  which translates to: "to find rest in."  Acceptance allows you to close the book and really find some silence and peace in yourself.

Question to consider:  What do you need "to find rest in?"   I needed to accept myself and close the book on a story from my past that doesn't matter any more.  It is not who I am, more importantly it is not who I want to be.


1 comment:

  1. I really liked your post today, Lenore. We all love you, you know that! ;-)
    Mirka

    ReplyDelete