Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Leaving Kathamandu

So bright and early on a Sunday I left Kathamandu to take a tourist bus to Pokhara. I was super excited to leave the loud noises and pollution behind and get to the monastery.  The bus was pretty comfortable and the ride was long.  I was told it was about a 6 hour bus ride, it turned out to be closer to 9 hours.   
Traffic was pretty bad, there were a number of accidents, including a truck that had gone off a cliff.  I didn't take many photos during the bus ride because I was attempting to sleep.  This is one of the stops along the way; we stopped to eat breakfast here.  I just took the opportunity to stretch my legs and was enormously grateful for my trail mix.
We stopped at this location for a while, but were not given the opportunity to leave the bus, so I opened the window to get a photo of the fire brigade.  I loved this image!
I was given a key to my room at the monastery and immediately saw this poster.  Since I don't know if the photo is high enough resloution to be able to read it I will type it up.  As I read this poster I knew the next two weeks were going to be amazing!

Beautiful Thought by the Buddha

Once Buddha was traveling with a few of his followers.  While they were passing a lake
Buddha told one of his disciples.  "I am thristy.  Do get me some water from the lake."

The disciple walked up to the lake.  At that moment, a bullock cart started crossing 
through the lake.  As a result, the water became very muddy and turbid.  The disciple 
thought.  "How can I give the muddy water to Buddha to drink?"

So he came back and told Buddha.  "The water is there is very muddy.  I don't think it is
fit to drink."

After about half an hour, again Buddha asked the same disciple to go back to the lake.

The disciple went back and found the water was still muddy.  He returned and 
informed Buddha about the same.

After sometime, again Buddha asked the same disciple to go back.

This time the disciple found the the mud had settled down, and the water was clean and clear.  
So he collected some water in a pot and brought it to Buddha.

Buddha looked at the water, and then he looked up at the disciple and said, "See what you did
to make the water clean.  You let it be, and the mud settled down on its own - and you 
have clear water.

Your mind is like that too!  When it is disturbed just let it be.  Give it a little time.  It will
settle down on its  own.  You don't have to put any effort to calm it down.  It will happen.
It is effortless"

Having 'Peace of Mind' is not a strenuous job; it is an effortless process!

Treat everyone with politeness
even those who are rude to you
not because they are not nice

BUT BECAUSE YOU ARE NICE.

Question to consider: What is the first thing you do when you arrive at a new place to stay?  Do you explore or immediately unpack?  When I got to the monastery I unpacked first, mostly because I really wanted to get settled in my temporary home.  






2 comments:

  1. I'm a homey type person. I really like to 'settle' in too. Then, as far as I can remember--it's been awhile since I've traveled by myself--I like to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always try to unpack. Exploring after that is so much more pleasurable, when I know I will come "home" to a room that is ready for me to just crash in. ;-)
    I love your choices of pictures, it is stuff that you don't see in travel magazines!!!
    Enjoy every moment of your adventure.
    Mirka

    ReplyDelete