Thursday, March 27, 2014

My class

Another volunteer Roxanne and I, were assigned to teach Social Studies and Science to class IV.  I am sure it comes as no surprise that I knew nothing about Nepali Social Studies, luckily we were given a book for both the classes.  Roxanne decided that since she was very uncomfortable teaching Science she would be in charge of Social Studies and I could handle the Science class.
The classrooms were dark, the only light was from the windows. My students were incredibly sweet and gentle with each other. There were some rowdy moments, they are children after all.  It was so fulfilling to hear them shout out the right answers when we were reviewing for their final exam.  They were a great group of children.  
We came to teach at a interesting time.  In social studies they had finished the book, and Science just had another couple of chapters.  So after reviewing for the science exam, we spent a lot of time outside.  
I talked to them about the forces on airplanes one day, and then we went outside and threw different types of paper airplanes.  This experiment did not yield the results I expected, the children were really rowdy and ended up disturbing other classes.  So I brought them back inside.   I do think we all had some fun playing.
Here is a photo of my class that one of the other volunteers took.  There were so many great moments with this class.  I am looking forward to coming back next year and seeing them all in class V.  I wish them the best of luck on their upcoming exams.  

Question to consider: What was your favorite class in school?




No comments:

Post a Comment