Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Site seeing In Kathmandu

Confession time:  I was planning to use photographs from my camera instead of my iphone, while I was in Nepal.  Unfortunately, I forgot the cable to transfer photos.  Which means that I don't have a lot of photos of the temples I went to and I saw while I was in Kathmandu.

First up was Pashupatinath, a hindu temple. All of my photos of this temple are on my camera, so here is a photos of the ticket.  The temple in this photo is lit up for Shiva night.
Pashupatinath Temple (पशुपतिनाथको मन्दिर)  is a Hindu temple dedicated to Shiva, it is located on the banks of the Bagmati River in the eastern part of Kathmandu.The temple serves as the seat of the national deity, Lord Pashupatinath.  I walked around the grounds a bit with Prakash, my language teacher and he was generous enough to share his  beliefs with me.

We sat on the banks of the river for a while and watched the cremation of a couple of bodies, and the pilgrims bathing in the water.  He shared with me the story of his mom's death and told me about the rituals and beliefs about death.  This temple was a sacred place for him, and I am grateful that he shared so much with me.

After a delicious lunch of chicken momos, Prakash and I made our way to Boudhanath. In 1979 this became a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and the Great Stupa is the focal point.  When I was there I saw many people performing the daily ritual of walking around while repeating the mantra "Om Mani Padme Hum," the compassion mantra.  I was ecstatic to see the two buddhist temples, during my time in Kathmandu.  It helped build some momentum and helped me remember my focus.  
The final temple we went to see was The Monkey Temple.  As you may have guessed there were monkeys everywhere, I even saw one yank on a girl's ponytail.  Here we also walked around the stupa and Prakash told me about the temple and a little bit about Buddhism.  
The Monkey Temple is up on a hill, so there was a terrific view of Kathmandu.  It was so peaceful up there, it was nice to have a break from the noise and rush of the city.  

Question to consider: Where is a place you find peace and calm in your hometown?  I personally love the butterfly center at the museum back in Houston.  That is my happy place!






    No comments:

    Post a Comment