Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Fear or love

A number of weeks ago I posted a link to a graduation speech that Jim Carrey gave.  I have listened to this speech many times since I discovered it.  I listen to it a lot while I am driving.   At one point in that speech he reminds me that I only have this moment, I have the opportunity in each and every moment to choose who I want to be.  I have the opportunity to make a decision either motivated by love or by fear.

This is really powerful for me, this is why it is so important to live in the moment, to be present.  When I am truly present, when I am still, when I am clear I see in all directions.  I can decide who I want to be, I can decide how I want to be, and I can choose love.  Seeing in all directions has nothing to do with predicting the future, it has to do with seeing my potential, seeing each action I can take and who is taking that action.

I have people in my life that I do not enjoy spending time with.  I tend to use very negative language to describe them, to describe the environment and to describe myself when I interact with them.   It was recently pointed out to me that the only thing in those situations I have any control over is myself.  The reality is I do not like myself in those situations.  The practice is now to be here and now in those situations and notice who/what I am.   If I am unable to change my feelings about a situation, it is time to change my behavior.  It is only possible to change behavior if I am present, still and able to see in all directions.

Question to consider: What is your approach when spending time with people you may or may not get along with?




No comments:

Post a Comment