Thursday, August 28, 2014

Sitting in the Sun

For the past few months, I have had the pleasure of spending time with a wonderful woman in Hospice care.  I got to have conversations with her, learn about her life, her husband, her children and her grandchildren.  In the end I simply got to sit with her, while she rested.  The day before she died, I even got the pleasure of meeting her daughter in-law and her grandson.

When I got the phone call from my supervisor, I simply felt blessed that I had gotten to know her.  That I had taken the chance to serve this woman at the end of her life, and hear her stories about when she was stronger and thriving.

I get a lot of different reactions when I mention I am volunteering for Hospice, and honestly I didn't know how this was going to play out.  This woman was the first woman I got to spend a significant amount of time visiting, my other assignments have been filling in for others. So I didn't know, couldn't predict how I might react.

That is the beauty of life, is making the choice to find out.  To dive in, to walk into a situation without telling the story about how it will end.  As I continue to explore the idea of being a healer, I am excited to continue my Hospice involvement.

This quote is from a book that I was reading to myself during our last few visits, and I finished the book, sitting in the sun the afternoon that she passed away.




No comments:

Post a Comment