Monday, September 29, 2014

Look what found me!

So the other day, I went to grab something out of the back seat and look what I found!   This little guy climbed into my car from outside while I was unloading groceries and stuff.  He had a collar, so Sterling had some company for the afternoon, before this little guy's parents could pick him up.  (Adam got a cute photo of them sleeping next to each other on the couch.)

It is funny how a very normal, and ordinary task can get quickly change into something different.  When I found him, I didn't know what to do, he didn't want to leave the back seat.  Add to that equation, that I was extremely tired and hungry and I handed this little guy the remote and started to feel and act anxious.

I ended up calling Adam a little paniced and confused Adam.  I was not communicating how the dog wound up in the car, only that there was a dog in my car that didn't want to move.  Since I was tense I decided the dog was tense, and thought it might bite me.   Adam came home from running errands, climbed in the back seat and easily picked up and started cuddling the little pup. 

This was a lesson for me about how important it is to control one's state.  It is fine to feel anxious and stressed, I can chose to act another way.  The feelings are going to come and go, I do not need to hand the remote to my feelings in my life.  We remember the actions people take, we have no idea what they were thinking and feeling, actions are what matter.

Question to consider: How do you push the "reset" button when you start to feel stressed out?  How do your actions change after you press the reset button?

No comments:

Post a Comment