Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Getting away

Sometimes life feels like it is too much, sometimes I feel like I am being given more then I possibly have the ability to handle.   So in moments like those I usually grit my teeth and find a way to keep going, to realize that I am will discover new ways of handling things and eventually what needs to be done will get accomplished.  

However last week, I did something completely different when it felt like too much.  When I noticed that I was no longer sleeping well, I was unable to eat properly and I was not taking care of myself.  I went away.   I handled the critcal things, doctor's appointments, vet appointments, job commitments and decided the rest could wait for me to get home.   I went away just a few hours drive to the Austin area, had dinner with a friend and then spent the next bit of time alone.

I came home feeling a little bit more settled and clear. A lot of the things that were stressing me out are still here, I just feel bigger than the "problems" now.   I am able to handle them step by step again.

While I was taking the time for myself, there was a lot of chatter in the back of my mind.  
"you are simply running away from commitments"  
"you are simply giving up"   
"you are selfish"
"you don't deserve this"

Those are just some examples of how my mind likes to take me away from the present moment and away from being happy.   So the only thing I could do was come back to my senses and embrace the present moment, otherwise I might have missed the beautiful purple flowers.

Question to consider: What is your favorite way to take "me" time?   When is the last time you allowed yourself even a 5 minute "me" break? 

1 comment:

  1. Taking a long walk with the doggo... Just me and her. And it's been a while since I was able to do that :-(
    Mirka

    ReplyDelete